From cushion compacts to sheet masks, Korea has been launching one big international beauty trend after another. Now, the latest—eyebrow tinting—is rapidly gaining popularity stateside. Thanks to bushy influencers like model Cara Delevingne and actress Emmy Rossum, big brows in general have been a huge focal point in recent seasons. And experts say eyebrow tinting makes getting that fuller look easier.
“Women are always looking to simplify their makeup routines, and eyebrow tinting is a great way to cut time during your morning rush,” says Angela Kim, CEO of Insider Beauty, a Korean beauty e-commerce site that recently launched in the U.S. “Brow tinting also looks incredibly natural, and most people wouldn’t even be able to tell you’ve tinted your brows.” Unlike tattoo and tint techniques from yesteryear, the newer technology allows you to create the look of hair strokes for a believably fuller brow.
While you can certainly opt for a professional eyebrow tinting treatment at a salon, you can also create the look at home. Try CLIO Tinted Tattoo Kill Brow + Eyebrow Shaping Kit ($25, insiderbeauty.com), which contains a felt pen that temporarily tints brows from five to seven days. We also like Wunder2 WunderBrow ($22, wunder2.com), which combines hair-like fibers with a pigment gel that fastens onto skin and hair for a few days.
Makeup artist Teri Kang, who performs brow tinting regularly on clients, shares her method for perfecting a longer-lasting brow tint at home. “The tint lasts a couple weeks and makes it much easier to fill in your brows—and on makeup-free days, your brows will still look refined,” says Kang. Here, a before and after photo of one of Kang's clients, where you can see what a difference tinting makes:
What You’ll Need:
Try: Vaseline ($4, target.com) or Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Skin Ointment ($7, desertessence.com)
Try: Godefroy Instant Eyebrow Tint Permanent Eyebrow Color Kit ($13, walgreens.com) or Roux Lash & Brow Tint ($40, sallybeauty.com)
Try: Roux Clean Touch Haircolor Stain Remover ($4, sallybeauty.com)
Clean Mascara Wand
Synthetic Lip Brush
Cotton Swabs and Pads
1. Apply barrier cream to the skin around the eyebrow area to protect it from tint.
2. Mix the brow tint solution according to manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Apply the tint to eyebrows in two stages. First, apply tint with your lip brush to both eyebrows. Then, comb through brows with a clean mascara wand to mimic hair-like strokes for a more natural effect—particularly on the inner part of the brow, says Kang. Work quickly, and complete each step on both brows before moving on to the next one for the most even processing time.
4. Clean up excess tint around your brows with a cotton swab dipped in tint remover. It’s ok to leave a tiny bit of tint around the eyebrow to grab any fine baby hairs, says Kang.
5. Leave tint on for the desired time and effect. While one to two minutes offers bare minimum tinting, up to 10 minutes may be needed to conceal gray or to achieve deeply tinted brows. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions exactly for your preferred color result.
6. Remove the tint with dampened cotton pads. If there is any slight staining or shadowing around the brows, Kang says it should be gone by the next morning.
And one final note: If you’re tweezing, waxing, or threading, it’s always best to tint before shaping your brows.