Exfoliation helps in getting rid of dead skin cells, dirt and grime and should be made an important part of your skin care regimen. While there are many facial scrubs available, it’s great to use readily available ingredients for the job. It is important to remember that different skin types have different requirements and this should reflect in the ingredients you use for your home made scrub as well.
It is important for people with oily skin to regularly exfoliate to prevent breakouts and blemishes caused by excessive oil secretion which clogs your pores. However it is important to note that over exfoliating could result in excess sebum production which would be counterproductive!
• 1Tbsp Baking soda -This cleanses AND exfoliates.
• 1 Tbsp Lemon juice – Acts as a natural astringent
• 1Tsp Honey – Has antibacterial/antiseptic properties and moisturises the skin
The problem with exfoliating dry skin is that sometimes, it could cause further dryness. This doesn’t mean that you should skip the scrubbing. The key is to use moisturising ingredients while putting together that DIY scrub.
• 1 ½ Tbsp Warm olive oil – Has anti-aging properties and enhances exfoliation
• 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar – exfoliates the skin and helps fight bacteria
• 1 Tbsp Honey –hydrates/moisturises skin
Exfoliating sensitive skin can be tricky because you never know how your skin will react! The best way to work with this skin type is by using ingredients that are soothing.
• 1 Tbsp Oats – soothes and gently exfoliates skin
• 2 Tbsp Yogurt – tightens pores, brightens complexion
• 1 Tsp Honey – fights bacteria and moisturises
Once you’ve prepared your mixture, rub it into your skin with wet fingers for one to two minutes and rinse off with cool water. For best results, steam beforehand and moisturise afterwards