Feeling the burn is usually considered a good thing—unless you're talking about acid reflux. According to the American Gastroenterological Association, more than 60 million people in the U.S. have heartburn at least once a month, and 15 million experience it daily. But a fiery burning in the chest isn't the only symptom of gastroespohageal reflux disease (GERD), the medical name for acid reflux. There's a whole host of other issues, including always feeling bloated and the need to burp, like, 100 times a day. Here, we've rounded up 12 of the most common struggles ladies with acid reflux face.
1. You Feel Dead Tired Every Morning Because You Can't Drink Regular Coffee
Nothing really wakes you up like a nice cup of java. Unfortunately, it's off-limits, so you're pretty much a zombie until 2 p.m.
2. And You Constantly Think You're Being Judged if You Order a Decaf
Did that barista just give you some major side-eye?
3. You Burp All. The. Freaking. Time
You seriously put your BF to shame.
4. You Have to Eat Dinner Super-Early Every Single Night
Otherwise, that food'll come right back up when you go to sleep. On the plus side, you save a lot of money at restauarants by taking advantage of the early-bird specials.
5. You Can No Longer Bond with Your Friends Over a Bottle of Wine
Ugh, why does alcohol have to make you feel like utter crap?
6. You Never Leave Home Without a Bottle of Zantac
That stuff's expensive, though, so you're always on the hunt for coupons.
7. Spicy Food Has Become Your Mortal Enemy
You've never felt worse than after you've given in to your chicken tikka masala craving.
8. You're Always Paranoid That Your Breath Stinks
You just hope no one else can smell that acidic taste in your throat.
9. You Feel Super-Bloated After Every Meal
No wonder you're such a pro at belching.
10. The Word 'Pizza' Is No Longer in Your Vocabulary
Goodbye, cheesy deliciousness! Anything with tomatoes in it will make your chest burn for days on end.
11. You Hate Only Being Able to Sleep on Your Left Side
It's not comfortable staying in one position all night, but it's the only way to prevent nasty stomach acid from coming back up.
12. You'll Try Any Home Remedy, No Matter How Gross It Tastes
Yes, you've taken shots of apple cider vinegar, and yes, it was absolutely vile.
All gifs courtesy of giphy.com